Not all students are born with the ability to write persuasively and logically in all topic types. That is why you need to equip yourself with PTE essay templates to stay on track and earn the best score on your writing test.
PTE essay templates are a concise yet effective tool for unleashing the full potential of your ideas and presenting them with utmost clarity and precision.
Without any further ado! We will delve into five ready-made PTE essay templates with proven tips and samples to help you produce well-organized and compelling essays.
We have compiled the most up-to-date PTE essay writing templates tested in multiple PTE tests. Therefore, you can be confident to memorize them for a full score.
(Read our Vietnamese version here)
- Most up-to-date PTE mock tests to help you get 79+ scores!
- Pearson PTE test – the only guide you need to read
PTE essay writing overview & scoring guidelines
Before moving to detailed PTE essay writing templates, let’s understand this writing task first!
PTE essay writing overview
|Time to Answer
|200 – 300 words
|Write an essay on a given topic
Writing an essay is the second task of the PTE writing task. This task assesses test-takers’ ability to produce a written response in an academic context.
Test takers have 20 minutes to complete the essay. During this time, they need to plan their response, organize their ideas, and write a well-structured essay with a clear introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
PTE scoring guidelines
The PTE Essay has partial credit scoring. There is no credit for no answer or an irrelevant one. This question type does not affect your reading, listening, and speaking scores.
Pearson will evaluate and score your essay through seven factors, including
Content gets a score based on how you solve every aspect of the given topic. You will not earn points if your essay fails to address the topic.
- Development, structure, and coherence
These factors are graded based on how you develop and organize your ideas.
A well-developed PTE essay should have an introduction, two body paragraphs, and a conclusion relevant to the topic with details, examples, and explanations. You should express ideas clearly, logically, and smoothly between paragraphs.
PTE essay has a word limit of 200 to 300 words. Writing fewer than 200 or more than 300 words will lower your score. You will receive a zero if you write fewer than 120 or more than 380 words.
- General linguistics
This criterion focuses on clear and straightforward communication. You should highlight the main points and creatively implement ideas. You can get a maximum of points for general linguistics if your essay accurately expresses your views.
- Grammar usage
Grammar is scored by evaluating sentence structure, verb tenses, subject-verb agreement, articles, and prepositions, punctuations, the use of capital letters, and more.
PTE assesses how well you use a variety of words and phrases in your essay to explain your views appropriately and concisely.
PTE assesses your ability to spell common words correctly. PTE Academic accepts English spelling conventions from the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada.
The table below will help you better understand how the PTE algorithm assesses your essay using the above scoring parameters.
|All relevant aspects covered
|1 aspect missed
|Multiple aspects missed
|Development, structure, and coherence
|Good development and logical structure
|Less well structured, some elements poorly linked
|Length -120 to 199 OR 301 to 380
|Length<120 OR >380
|Smooth mastery of linguistics
|Sufficient range of language
|Basic language, less precision
|Consistent grammar – no mistakes
|Full of mistakes
|1 Spelling error
|More than 1 error
- PTE study and preparation tips for maximizing your scores
PTE essay writing template
Before diving into each topic type, first memorize the following PTE essay template:
- Give some background information about the topic (one sentence).
- Paraphrase the question. This means you repeat the essay question in your own words (one sentence).
- Present your argument. Write out what you will argue about and which side you will choose (one sentence).
This part consists of two paragraphs following the same template. Furthermore, you can add a counterargument paragraph to acknowledge and address opposing viewpoints or arguments to the one presented in the essay.
- Explain the first key idea.
- Present supporting ideas for what you’ve discussed above
- Give an example/evidence/data/research to support this
- Conclude the paragraph
- Follow the same approach as paragraph 1. But you have to express the second idea in this paragraph.
The conclusion provides a summary of your response.
- Summarize two main ideas discussed in paragraphs 1 and 2, and restate your argument from the introduction.
- Give your personal opinion.
PTE Universal Essay Template
Currently, there is a heated debate among people about _____. Although it can be asserted that _____, I believe that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. In this essay, I will explain my point of view by analyzing both sides of the argument.
Body Paragraph 1
There are a number of reasons why_____. One of them is that _____. It can equally be claimed that______. It should also be noted that______.
Body Paragraph 2
Those who argue for_____take a different stance, claiming that it can be advantageous. Firstly, it is said that______. Then, there are concerns about_____.
While there are strong arguments on both sides of the debate, my personal view is______. I would highly recommend that_____.
5 topic types with sample essays
You may encounter the following five essay topic types in the PTE Writing section:
Agree or disagree
You must either agree or disagree with the point of view in the topic question. Support your point of view using explanations and/or examples from your personal experience or observations.
Sample Agree or Disagree Essay Question:
“The majority of television news being reported is bad news: wars, famines, accidents and crime. Some people think that television news should be a mixture of good and bad news.
Choose whether you agree or disagree with this statement and discuss why you chose that position.”
The media plays a part in how we receive knowledge and information from all across the world. Some people believe that the news we watch should include both negative and positive current events. In this essay, I will argue that a balance of good and bad news is the best solution for us.
Body Paragraph 1:
As human beings, we seek a good view of ourselves in the media. We need to observe examples of good human behavior so that we can emulate it to align with our values and beliefs. For example, witnessing humans treat each other with respect and kindness can result in an audience acting on these positive concepts. By sharing encouraging stories, we may help to develop a more resilient and strong society.
Body Paragraph 2:
Bad news often serves as a record of the violent and harmful actions and behavior happening throughout the world on a minute-by-minute basis. It is a true depiction of how humans treat one another, and watching it on the news warns us about the risks that many people are facing every day. For example, ongoing conflicts, political instability, diseases, and climate change are all continuous. If we want to address these challenges, we must constantly remind ourselves of their existence.
This essay has argued that while a real portrayal of today’s news is vital to remind us daily of the never-ending issues that many humans confront, showing instances of helpful solutions may more effectively drive a positive change in our society. To be more reflective of current events and successful in shaping society, I believe that the balance of television news should be good rather than bad.
Discuss two opinions
You have to discuss two sides of the argument in body paragraphs 1 and 2. Finally, state which one is the best in the conclusion. Write on both sides to gain as many points as possible.
Sample Discuss Two Opinions Essay Question:
“Some people think that the teenage years are the happiest times of most people’s lives. Others think that adult life brings more happiness, in spite of greater responsibilities. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.”
Essay Template :
Many people recall feeling very restricted as teenagers, and that becoming an adult generally meant being happier than they were. However, it seems that those same people frequently yearn to return to their childhood as soon as they encounter the pressures of maturity. This shift in attitudes may start a debate about which age groups are the happiest.
Body Paragraph 1:
It is possible to make a convincing argument that children and teens are the most joyful and delighted groups of people. Indeed, one may argue that children hold no or little responsibility for their activities. As a result, the young can engage in whatever activity they want, unless it is immediately dangerous. In addition, young people have more leisure time and make more friends than adults. Thus, their life may be full of easygoing fun with their peers, leading to high levels of happiness.
Body Paragraph 2 (Viewpoint 2 – Enhanced social interactions):
On the other side, other people claim that the older they become, the more satisfaction they get out of life. In my opinion, this viewpoint is also fairly reasonable. Becoming an adult often involves enjoying the freedom of choice and action that the younger generation does not have. This independence, when combined with experience and a deep awareness of one’s own interests and motivations, can lead to highly satisfying and meaningful lives, complete with excellent careers, interesting hobbies, and loving families.
In conclusion, I would say that both periods of life have their joys and sorrows and how happy people of different ages feel greatly depends on each individual. Still, think that life can and should be enjoyed at any age.
Causes and Effects
You have to analyze the reasons behind a particular phenomenon or event (causes) and discuss the consequences or outcomes resulting from those causes (effects).
Sample Causes and Effects Essay Question:
“Young people in the modern world seem to have more power and influence than any previous young generation. Why is this the case? What impact does this have on the relationship between old and young people?”
In the last few decades, the nature of young people has shifted dramatically. The naive and vulnerable youth of the past have become stronger and more independent in recent years much to the chagrin of the elders.
Body Paragraph 1:
The root cause for this development is the tremendous rise of communication. Most young people nowadays have access to internet, smartphones, computers and televisions. As a result, they learn a lot about the world at a young age. Additionally, the availability of education and career options has given them financial and intellectual independence. While it was formerly unusual for children to spend time away from home for school or work, it is now an expected component of every child’s life.
Body Paragraph 2:
However, it has been noticed that today’s youth are being criticized for being increasingly lazy and rude. However, a close study would show that this charge is false. Previously, children were completely reliant on their parents until they reached middle age, and adults had the last word in all matters. However, financial freedom and world knowledge have enabled young people to make intelligent and autonomous judgments, which frequently contradict the traditional views of the older generation.
In conclusion, it seems that shifts in young people are inescapable as a result of developments in lifestyle and technology. To adapt to changing situations, one must adjust oneself. What is required is improved communication between the old and young generations.
Problems and Solutions
You have to discuss a specific problem or issue and propose effective solutions to address it.
Sample Problems and Solutions Essay Question:
“The issue of unemployment among young people is a growing concern. Discuss the problems stemming from youth unemployment and propose effective solutions.”
The Earth is changing at a tremendous pace, which has physical and emotional consequences for us. Everyone needs a healthy atmosphere to be healthy and strong. Our Mother Earth is in jeopardy due to natural disasters. Today, we must take careful look at some of the most pressing environmental difficulties we are facing, as well as the answers to these problems.
Body Paragraph 1:
Human activities are causing an alarming increase in environmental damage. There are several environmental issues that demand immediate action. Global warming, overcrowding, pollution of air, water, and soil, depletion of natural resources, deforestation, waste disposal, melting polar ice caps, genetic engineering, increasing sea levels, and a variety of other issues are wreaking havoc on our ecosystem.
Body Paragraph 2:
The government, organizations, and individuals must work together to eliminate the risks to our society before it is too late. Every individual can consume less power by turning off lights when they are not in use or by switching to use LED bulbs. Multinational corporations perceive forests as a chance to make a lot of money by selling lumber while neglecting the long-term detrimental consequences. The government should enact strict regulations requiring businesses to follow such criteria, as well as educate the public about the dangers of environmental change. It should be underlined that it is everyone’s obligation to safeguard our environment.
Different environmental protective actions should be carried out across the world, and here is how little acts joined together may play a huge part in saving our planet. As a result, let us work together to ensure a clean environment for ourselves and future generations through the concept of sustainable development.
Advantages and Disadvantages
You have to discuss the positive aspects and negative aspects of a specific subject or issue.
Sample Advantages and Disadvantages Essay Question:
“In some countries, people are forced to retire when they reach a certain age. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.”
In certain nations, persons who reach retirement age are required to leave their jobs. This phenomenon has both beneficial and bad consequences, which will be discussed in this essay.
Body Paragraph 1:
The main purpose of such a government policy is stringent regulation of human workforce’s productivity and performance. It comes to reason that older personnel will take more time to complete their tasks. Moreover, it is typically safer to keep younger staff members at employment where health and focus are essential. For example, work at the conveyor commonly necessitates quick reactions, strong eyesight, and physical stamina, all of which humans tend to lose over time. If companies did not require the elderly to retire, the chance of working accidents related to human factors would remain rather high.
Body Paragraph 2 (Disadvantages of renewable energy sources):
On the other hand, employers frequently underestimate the talents, expertise, and potential of experienced professionals who have retired, even if they may still be valuable and have a professional flare. They may offer guidance on specific issues that they have dealt with for the majority of their life. An excellent example of this statement would be medical practitioners, whose expertise is clearly more important than rookie trainees.
In conclusion, forced retirement is reasonable in terms of workplace safety and successful completion of assigned responsibilities. However, this policy ignores the benefits of retaining experienced staff, such as utilizing their knowledge and skills in complex situations that require in-depth research and ingenuity.
PTE essay writing tips
Memorizing PTE essay templates may not be enough without applying some of the following practical writing tips to maximize your score:
- Read the given subject carefully and identify the topic type. Avoid focusing on one point so much and losing sight of the big picture.
- Always plan and outline your essay before writing.
- Stay on track to address the essay prompt and avoid going off-topic or providing irrelevant information.
- Ensure you write formally and academically, avoiding colloquial language or slang.
- Avoid using pointers or bullet points.
- Write in short, concise paragraphs.
- Avoid using too complicated vocabulary. Keep it simple.
- Do not repeat the same point again and again.
- Enhance your academic vocabulary. Try to use synonyms to diversify your language.
- Always leave time to proofread your essay and make any necessary improvements. Look for errors in grammar, spelling, and coherence.
A sample list of PTE essay topics
Practice time! We’ve gathered a sample topic list for each PTE essay type.
Agree or disagree essay topics
- Online education is as effective as traditional classroom learning. Discuss your opinion on this statement.
- The government should provide financial incentives to encourage the use of electric vehicles. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Advertising aimed at children should be banned. Discuss your opinion on adopting the
- The benefits of space exploration outweigh the costs. Do you agree or disagree?
- Plastic bags should be banned to protect the environment. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Discuss two opinions essay topics
- Using animals in entertainment, such as circuses and theme parks, has divided opinions. Discuss the ethical considerations and arguments for and against using animals for entertainment.
- The increasing popularity of remote work has raised debates about its long-term effects on productivity and work-life balance. Discuss both the advantages and disadvantages of remote work arrangements.
- Online shopping has revolutionized the retail industry but it also poses challenges for traditional brick-and-mortar stores. Discuss the impact of online shopping on physical retail stores and consumer behavior.
- The impact of globalization on cultural diversity is a topic of discussion. Discuss globalization’s positive and negative effects of globalization on cultural identity and traditions.
- The use of smartphones in schools has both advantages and disadvantages. Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of allowing students to use smartphones in educational settings.
Causes and Effects essay topics
- Analyze the causes and effects of increasing rates of divorce in modern society.
- Discuss the causes and effects of climate change and its impact on the environment and human life.
- Examine the causes and effects of high levels of unemployment in a specific country or region.
- Explore the causes and effects of the opioid epidemic in certain communities.
- Discuss the causes and effects of the declining bee population and its implications on the ecosystem and agriculture.
Problems and Solutions essay topics
- Discuss the problem of plastic pollution in oceans and propose effective solutions to mitigate its impact on marine life and the environment.
- Analyze the increasing traffic congestion problem in urban areas and suggest practical solutions to alleviate the issue.
- Examine the problem of cyberbullying among young people and propose measures to address and prevent online harassment.
- Discuss the problem of food waste in households and restaurants and propose strategies to reduce food wastage and promote food sustainability.
- Analyze the problem of lack of access to clean drinking water in certain regions and suggest solutions to improve water availability and quality.
Advantages and Disadvantages essay topics
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using renewable energy sources to combat climate change.
- Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of social media in today’s society.
- Examine the benefits and drawbacks of online education compared to traditional classroom learning.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of genetic engineering in agriculture.
- Analyze the pros and cons of using artificial intelligence (AI) in various industries and its impact on employment.
Mastering PTE essay templates provides a solid foundation for achieving success in the PTE writing section. Thanks to these efficient templates, you can effectively structure your essays, showcase your language proficiency, and express your ideas with clarity and coherence.
Have you memorized the essay templates yet? If yes, it’s time to test with our list of sample topics. Contact us if you need extra PTE practice tests to enhance your overall performance